Sponsor A Child

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chess - 2nd Stage


Wei came to me excitedly yesterday. He has been selected to take part in next week's chess competition. Apparently, he is ranked number 7 in the boys under 10 category at our Zone, so now he is a Zone Representative. According to him, those who rank number 1 to 12 are eligible to take part. There are 2 others from his school taking part, they are ranked number 9 and 12 (at this point of the story I swelled up with pride).
So next week he will miss 4 days of school, because when he gets to school, his teacher will drive them to the competition. That will be quite an experience for him as he is now competing with boys who are winners in their own zone too. He tells me that he is a little worried that he won't win, but I say, "It's okay, it doesn't matter if you win or lose. What's most important is that you tried your best."
I hope that next week, I wouldn't have to pacify a sad, teary-eyed boy because he lost. Best of luck, Wei!

Post-note: Wei played 7 games from May 10-13, and won only 2. He didn't qualify into the next round. He was disappointed, of course, but at least he didn't cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment